I've had many clients with similar emotional or mental resources - running the gamut from ailing seniors to disorganized chronic-fatigue sufferers. How do you deal with the "I don' wanna" demons? Try the following suggestions:
- Get help. When all else fails, if you really can't muster the energy or inspiration to do it on your own, ask a friend for help, or hire a professional.
- Know your peak energy periods during the day, and make good use of those times.
- Start small. Set the timer for half an hour, and stop when it goes off. Do this often enough, and you will reinforce the idea that sorting and purging isn't that difficult after all.
- Start with the easy stuff. It may sound like a cop-out, but if it gets you moving...
- Take a break when you get tired. Get away from the mess. Get out of the house. Go for a walk. You'll return with a fresh eye and renewed energy.
- Reward yourself for a job well done. We're more likely to continue behaviors that are positively reinforced.
copyright 2007, Michelle Lynne Goodfellow